Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

Did this teacher violate FERPA?

Recently a teacher who I have no classes with or association with has disclosed information from my disciplinary record along with my name, I have several peers from the class period that have told me about this. The only reason she would have known this information is if my previous teacher from the classroom next door told her. (she no longer works at my school) I’m an all around good student and this is the only thing that stains my record, but that’s besides the point-

Clearly someone here is in violation of FERPA and I want to know if the law is on my side in this situation, what are the repercussions that could effect this teacher for deliberately exposing my private information?

• Athena

It depends.

What damages has this disclosure caused you?

Despite your pious claims, you DO have a record that is SO egregious as to spark interest.

You also have no direct proof, yet, that she did this action. You have only hearsay testimony, and again, what damage has it caused?

It is a disciplinary action, so you did do the crime, so to speak. To blame the teacher for your misdeeds is typical of your type, but not actionable.

So again, for legal purposes, what damage to you have this teachers actions caused?

"The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student (“eligible student”). The FERPA statute is found at 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the FERPA regulations are found at 34 CFR Part 99."

Based on that, I don't think your teacher violated FERPA.

1. Grow up.

2. FERPA has multiple exceptions.

3. "Somebody told me" is not proof.

You do not even know what FERPA is. So the answer is no he/she did not violate FERPA. You are just a trouble maker who is pisssed because now everyone knows you are a troublemaker. IF any details were false you MIGHT have a case with the school board.

• Squid

FERPA is a law that says if you are over 18 the school can't give your grades to your parents unless you sign a release. It has nothing to do with a teacher discussing your background with another teacher.