Crystal asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 years ago

Is it bad to skip placebo pills on birth control and start a new pack?

I have two days left of birth control pills and a whole week of placebo pills so I’ll be starting my period like next Thursday and that week I’ll be going to the beach and the pool, so if I just skip the placebo pack and don’t let a withdrawal bleed happen, will it be okay and safe for my body to do that ? Or will that throw off my balance !? I’ve been on bc for 3 months now

• MissA

It's fine. It doesn't always work perfectly, particularly if you're taking a triphasic pill, but it's safe.

• Shay

You can skip the placebo pills for up to three cycles in a row. After skipping three times, it is a good idea to take the placebo week and allow the withdrawal bleed to happen.

You MIGHT get side effects from doing this. You MIGHT even still get some bleeding during the next cycle of pills. (You also might not)

It does create a shorter cycle because you would have a 21 day cycle instead of a 28 day cycle during any month that you skip the placebo pills. That doesn't really matter.

If you can find the leaflet of information that comes with your pack of pills, you should read it to see if it describes what might happen if you skip the placebo week. It should list the possible side effects of skipping that week.

It's fine. There's no particular benefit to having withdrawal bleeds.