? asked in Games & RecreationToys · 2 years ago

My daughter is semi-ethnic, (olive skin) and wants to dress up as Moana for her birthday. Is this appropriation? Should I let her?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

That is perfectly alright. Even if she was the most pale person in the world, you let that girl be Moana

• 2 years ago

Yes, of course. Look at the intent: you and your daughter obviously are not trying to say you are of that culture, she just wants to mimic one of her favorite characters! No one would object if a chinese or an African American girl wanted to dress up as Elsa for Halloween, would they? No! Because all they are doing is innocently showing their love for something as simple as a Disney character. They are not trying to mock the culture of ethnicity of said character. Let kids be kids.

• 2 years ago

1/ I consider the concept of "appropriation to be ridiculous".

2/ The theory of "appropriation" is that anyone from outide the culture in question must never do anything associated with the culture. Meaning ONLY native Hawaiians can dress as Moana.

• Diana
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Well, it is her birthday wish. However, maybe you can convince her to wait until Halloween.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Yes. Cultural appropriation is stupid.

• 2 years ago

Do it. If she's dressing up as a Pacific Islander, that's culture appropriation, but if she's dressing as a specific person like Moana, regardless of ethnicity, it is not cultural appropriation unless it's robbing other minorities from the opportunity to dress as that person as well, which isn't the case.

She is Moanaaaaaaaaa!

• 2 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.