Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 years ago

Is it acceptable, okay, or sensible for someone to have a belief that a deity doesn't exist?

Does it mean that atheism is a belief that a deity doesn't exist?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Atheism is not a belief that a deity doesn't exist .. it's a lack of belief that a deity does exist.

Two completely different things.

Atheists do not "believe" something .. they disbelieve something !

• Archer
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Atheism is the statement that the 'gods' have never existed. It is a personal perception based in logic, evidence and facts which a belief is devoid of.

• 2 years ago

That’s exactly what it means. A theist person believes in a God or gods.. but an a-theist - “a” as in anti or non.. So an anti or non theist believes there is no God or gods. Whereas an agnostic does not know one way or the other. Gnostic being the Greek word for know. So a-gnostic means non knowing.. Is it sensible? There’s no proof or evidence so it is only how data, science and what we see and observe.. how we interpret it. To me simply plucking a leaf off a tree and watching what happens to the leaf is about all the proof I need that life does not come from matter (organic does not come from inorganic.. and besides the universe is expanding, so it cannot have always been.. And I really don’t know how everything could have possibly come about from nothing. Hence if matter isn’t life, then there simply must be something more. Chemistry is matter. All things are made up of a combination of 100+ elements, like a sentence or book is made up of combinations of letters. A book doesnt

Source(s): And the genetic code/information/instructions - https://innermonastery.wordpress.com/
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

How many times is this going to be asked? Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is a response to a claim. The claim is "God exists". And atheists say "I don't believe that". Not believing theists claim doesn't mean theists are wrong. It just means there isn't sufficient evidence for their claim.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Perfectly acceptable as the constitution guarantees freedom of and FROM religion. Combine with the fact that America is not a theocracy and has no state religion, and never even did have one...

I'd say its sensible too, especially in the light of 0 evidence from theists...

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It is acceptable, not OK, and certainly not sensible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.