Why should it be illegal to give a tenant a no cause eviction?

Oregon legislature to take up the issue next year.

State senator rod Monroe blocked the legislation only to be beat by a Bernie supporter

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kim R
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Trust me, there's always a reason! No landlord is going to evict a tenant that has always paid in full on time, isn't causing problems and takes care of the property - unless the landlord has a personal problem come up, such as he is getting a divorce and needs a place to live right away, etc. This is why people who worry about this should buy a place of their own instead of trusting that someone else won't sell their rental out from under them, evict them, or whatever.

Source(s): I am a landlady.
  • 2 years ago

It already isn't legal to evict someone with no cause. One always has to prove the cause in court when the hearing comes.

• 2 years ago

Let's start with the correct terms An eviction is a court order requiring someone to vacate a property or have their belongings removed

There is a huge difference between ending a tenancy and eviction. A landlord usually will lease a property for a specific time period. After that time is up,. the landlord may offer the tenant another lease or the tenancy can convert to month to month.

There is usually a notice required if a tenant is going to move, or if the landlord is ending the rental.

The landlord is free to end the rental with proper notice as long as there is not a lease in effect. The tenant has the same freedom

Why should a landlord be required to continue to rent to a tenant after the lease period is over? Would you support a law requiring someone to continue to rent a property if they no longer desired to do so?

Source(s): 38 years in business
  • 2 years ago

is that a state that requires cause at this point?

In NJ, due to difficulty finding housing, especially affordable housing, a landlord must have cause to terminate a lease such as lease violations or the owner moving back in.

eviction can ONLY be for cause in any state. cause in most states can be that the lease expired and LL gave tenant notice to vacate and tenant refused.....

most states you don't need a reason to terminate an expired lease

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You can never force a LL to rent to you forever and ever. Laws are already on the books. Rental agreements are month to month. The LL can terminate that agreement with 30-60 days advance notice without cause. You can't force the LL to continue the rental agreement.

The lease doesn't have to be renewed by either party. The LL can offer the renewal, but doesn't have to. You can't force the LL to renew your lease. The lease is a contract that cannot be broken without compensation to the losing party.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Having an eviction on your record makes it difficult to rent ever again. Landlords should not be allowed to just do this to tenants without cause.

Both landlord and tenant are bound by the lease. A tenant cannot just move out and stop paying rent; a landlord cannot just kick them out. They have to wait until the end of the lease before they can initiate an eviction.

• 2 years ago

It should not be illegal.

A landlord should not be required to rent to you forever, just like you are not required to rent from the landlord forever.

The only thing that will happen if this passes is:

a) landlords will be even more stringent about who they accept

b) they will provide reasons that might not be true ("my nephew is moving in". "oh no, it fell through with my nephew. have to rent it to someone else now."

• 2 years ago

Usually there needs to be a reason for a landlord to evict a tenant. Normally it is non-payment of rent, or trouble making, or not abiding by the rental agreement...to simply turn them out for no reason smacks of bigotry.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Because that's people's lives your messing with.

• 2 years ago

LAWS? LOL!

My boss FIRED me for fake reasons- It's LEGAL- the housing is for the chosen people, too!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.