Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 years ago

Should I get a private student loan to pay for my education?

The school said it’s the only way I’d be able to pay. Financial Aid doesn’t cover it. It’s for a program at University of Texas at Arlington. I feel like if I get a loan I might end up regretting it. The tuition is $7,000.

Favorite Answer

Private student loans should be your last resort for paying for college.

You might want to also consider getting a part time job during school which can help pay for some of your smaller expenses.

Meanwhile you should have done some research about what you want to do after college - what sorts of jobs do you want, and how much do they pay. This way you'll have an idea of how much debt you can realistically accumulate while still being able to pay it off once you've graduated.

If it's too expensive, you might want to consider attending a community college for a year or two. Here you can focus on the basic pre-requisite classes, then transfer to the University for your last 2 years so you can finish your intended degree. This can help you save thousands of dollars. Just make sure you work a transfer officer at the university to make sure the credits from your community college will transfer over properly.