Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 2 years ago

Help!! How casually can I dress for a job interview without looking like a slob ?

I m a girl and I have a job interview at AMC theaters and I have no idea what to wear. It s just for the position of crew member and I don t think I should wear a dress. And I don t really have a casual dress, all I have is really fancy dresses. Everywhere I ve looked said jeans are definitely out of the question, but why? What about nice jeans? If jeans are really unacceptable, I need to find something more dressy than jeans but more casual than the dresses I own, and I don t really feel like buying an outfit just for a job interview. Especially not a dress since I will probably never wear it again. Also, this is going to be my first job interview and I m 17. The job interview is in about 1 week.

• Gert

You should have an 'interview outfit'. In this case, perhaps a nice pair of slacks and button shirt or a casual suit.

As a former Human Resources professional, I can say that your best choice of attire for that type of job interview, would be dark slacks (black, dark grey, or navy), a white or pale blue blouse, and either black heels (no higher than 3 1/2", and avoid strappy or open toed heels...closed toe pumps are best) or flats. Avoid any garments made of denim, leather, or anything too trendy. No flip flops! Also, keep accessories and "bling" to a minimum. Job interviews are about creating a positive first impression with the hiring manager/interviewer. Maintaining a professional appearance is key. It will be a factor in how you are treated, once on the job. Manager's and hiring staff remember the applicants who took the interview process seriously, and those who did not. No matter what anyone says...right or wrong, the fact is, that interviewees are indeed being JUDGED, before, during, and after their interview. Yes, you probably could get away with wearing jeans, but not wearing them could mean that you are taken more seriously once on the job, and offered more opportunities one day, including potential supervisory and management opportunities. I know plenty of people who showed up to interviews looking more professional than the other candidates, and while the other candidates were given the jobs they applied for, the more professional looking candidates were sometimes offered positions better than the ones they were being interviewed for. I'm not saying this is going to happen for you, but it is a possibility if you make the right impression. If you can't afford the few basic pieces you need, to make a proper first impression on an interview, see if you can borrow from an older sibling or ask your mom if you can raid her wardrobe. If that doesn't work, you can pick up a few basic pieces at Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, and it won't break your budget. It will actually be a good investment if you land the job. Good luck!

Black pants, white top, black blazer. Black shoes/ankle boots/heels

• Laura

Nice jeans are ok. Dark colored, no light patches. Wear a nicer shirt or blouse to help dress up the jeans.

Its usually better to overdress than underdress.

Black jeans, no holes, not faded, not worn out, no frayed hem.

Dark or blue jeans.

Shirt or polo.

Jacket if you want to look like a supervisor, even supervisors don't wear jackets anymore.

Dress or skirt 2" above the knees. Nothing you'd wear for the club. Better if it's something you'd wear for Sunday church.

2" heel shoes.

You can find good interview clothes @ Goodwill for less than $12 total!

What you'd wear for school, but no hoody, no jogging, leggings, or gym attire. You're 17, doesn't mean dressed like you're a teen, you're months away to adult hood, look LIKE ONE.

BTW: nowadays, companies are hard filling up spots, and if they NEED YOU, they'll hire you! You just need to give them attitude & personality.

Source(s): I got hired wearing shorts & tank top, I stopped there on my way home from college, and saw a job wanted sign! I was in my mid 30's. I was a cashier!
  • Sea

I have confidence that you'll be able to find a nice suitable look. It's always great to have black or navy trouser and a nice casual shirts for staples as you begin your career. Wish you the best.