Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 years ago

When cycling on the road, should we ride in the path of parked cars or should we ride in the path of moving cars?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This depends entirely on the amount of parked cars & where they are. If you don't see any parked cars for a block or two, it's only polite to move over a little & let cars past. If there are cars parked intermittently - STAY IN THE TRAFFIC LANE. Why? Because you don't want to be zigzagging in & out of the traffic lane. In essence, you'd be playing Hide 'n Go Seek with traffic. Here I am. Ooops...I've disappeared again behind parked cars. Here I am AGAIN. SURPRISE! The surprise would be on you when a motorist runs up your rear end. Motorists DON"T LOOK at the shoulder of the road. They have tunnel vision.

I'd highly suggest not only a good, well ventilated helmet, but also a helmet mounted rear view MIRROR. On those occasions when you are riding on the shoulder but see parked cars ahead - SIGNAL your intentions well in advance. An excellent read is Bicycling Street Smarts on this link... http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/ Quote, "With very few exceptions, the safest way to ride is as part of the traffic..."

Another excellent idea is to take classes (either in person or online) from Cycling Savvy. https://cyclingsavvy.org/

Finally, there's a 3 part series of videos on YouTube entitled Cyclist's Eye View. Look for parts 2 & 3. Here's part one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjCza5e1kw

Youtube thumbnail

• D50
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Ride where you're safer.

• 2 years ago

How close together are the parked cars? The worst thing a cyclist can do is to dodge inward towards the curb between parked cars that are closely (less than 100 feet) spaced. It would be like a game of "whack a mole" where the following cars would not know when you would poke yourself out into traffic. If there are parked cars, hold your line, the moment you dodge towards the curb you become fair game. One car may pass you, but the following one may have no idea that you are there. Only move aside when you can see a long ( 500 yard) area of clear space with no parked cars. Even then, maintain at least 1 yard between you and the curb

• Jon
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

This does not make sense. You cannot possible ride "in the path of" a stationary vehicle. The term "in the path of" means to be in the space where a moving object is forecast to go (e.g. as in 'He drove onto the crossing into the path of a train").

The nearest you could get to being 'in the path of' a parked car would be to ride straight into it, which is obviously not a good idea.

Dense traffic usually means that various vehicles have intersecting paths, which is why it is so important that all road users obey the rules and signals intended to avoid collisions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.