Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

People with liberal views on mental health: I’m 15 and refuse to take my drugs - how do you feel about that?

Does the fact that people (and not just adults, minors as well) can’t be forced to do anything with our bodies trigger you? People always have the right to bodily autonomy, unless they’re a danger to society - it’s not a right that’s reserved for adults only.

For the record, I stopped taking my drugs over 3 months ago, against the will of my mother and my doctor, because one of the side effects was change of political views, and I got sick of being a delusional socialist who literally desired the genocide of Trump supporters. My mother is an alt-left Marxist who thinks the right to bodily autonomy is reserved for adults - well, guess what? I’m 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than her, so good luck if she wants to try and force me, LOL. (She hasn’t even tried, because she knows that in reality, I can do whatever I want with my body.)

There are ways to treat depression without drugs.

Does this trigger you, to anyone with liberal views on mental health (that mental illness is no different from physical illness and can’t be treated naturally, and minors have no right to refuse treatment)?

To overcome such things I would first turn to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and then begin meditating on Bible promises like the following: "God hasn't given me a spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind."

Is that you, Miranda?

While depression is tough, and meds are difficult to cope with,

you need to find the right cocktail with minimal side effects.

I've been bipolar since I was born. There was a very dark time in my life where I refused to take my meds, after being the fat kid for years in school.

..at least I was relatively stable, and not erupting at the others.

Once I fell ill and was yanked from all of my meds, one by one, my mental health deteriorated and I was in trouble at college, with my "friends" and my family members. It was one of the lowest points in my life.

It took years of trial and error to find the perfect combination. Found it at last, and have no noticeable side effects.

Abilify, Risperidone, Lamictal, and Wellbutrin (all at relatively low doses) are the four meds I take every day to stay sane and functional.

Without them, I could be in jail or homeless. Not good places to be..

I too thought you could treat mental health issues without drugs. SSRIs and antipsychotics have bad side effects but I for one consider the options and benefits greatly outweigh the risks.

Your decision.

~Aizen