6 wks pregnant how many onesies of each size should my fiance and I get from newborn to a year??? Same for diapers??

My cousin is gonna give us a baby shower when I'm like 7 mths but we want to stock up on some things before that.

• Suzy Q
    Favorite Answer

I know the urge to stock up, but think for a moment. Unless you're expecting the zombie apocalypse any moment now, you don't need to stockpile supplies for a year. There will still be stores and webshops with overnight shipping.

The thing about babies is that they don't all have the same body type, and they grow in spurts. Your year supply of diapers can turn out to be the wrong fit and leak. Baby can be out of a size in a matter of days or even skip a size completely. You also don't know how many outfits baby will go through. Maybe one outfit a day will be plenty, maybe baby will be a huge spitter-upper you need to change 4 times a day or more.

Get one pack of diapers in size newborn and one a size up. Six or so onesies for newborns and six a size up. That's plenty to get started. Just pick up more as needed.

If you want to do something to prepare, put the money you were planning on spending on your year supply of clothes and diapers in a separate account.

You're gonna get so many baby outfits that you won't have to buy anything for yourself. People can't resist buying cute baby clothes for people they know. Lots of new moms don't ever have to do laundry for the first couple months...

As for diapers, they cost the same now as they will once the little one arrives. If you want to save up money for them later, that's fine. But if you buy a bunch of diapers now and they outgrow a size quickly, you'll have a bunch left over and it'll be money wasted. Some babies never even fit in "newborn" size diapers. Some grow through each size super quick. Some stay in little ones for really long times. Same for the clothing, really.

I totally get the instinct to prepare and nest for baby. It's natural. But babies don't need nearly as much stuff as you're lead to believe. Let the experienced women in your lives buy all that cute stuff and then fill in anything that's missing after your shower.

Congrats, lady!

Why do you want to stock up on either of those? We used maybe half a dozen "onesies" at most. I just didn't like them. And there was no way to predict what size. All of my kids skipped a size of baby clothes.

As for diapers, it's a really, really bad idea to stock up on those. You have no idea what size and shape your baby will be, and what brand and size diaper will work best.

Do NOT stock up on diapers. You don't know what brand your baby will like. Get other things instead: car seat, crib, baby monitor, stroller, things like that. Onesies are also something you don't stock up on, because you get a ton of them.

Get gift certificates, because babies cost about $100 a week. Start saving your money now.

And why don't you go with your fiancé to the courthouse and get married? I mean, you intend to marry him, right? So just do that now.