California occupancy rules?

My wife and I are looking to rent a bedroom house from a private owner. My mom is currently not living with me but previously had. The reason why I am looking for a two-bedroom is because my mom will eventually be moving back in with me. The owner of the home said that her preference is only two people in a two... show more My wife and I are looking to rent a bedroom house from a private owner. My mom is currently not living with me but previously had. The reason why I am looking for a two-bedroom is because my mom will eventually be moving back in with me. The owner of the home said that her preference is only two people in a two bedroom. I thought by California state law two people can occupy one room, so that would be 4 people in a two-bedroom. Am I wrong or is she allowed to do this because she owns the home. I was told this is a fair housing violation. Thanks for any answers. And please don't say it's her house she can do what she wants because of course she can do what she wants but I am trying to understand the laws.
9 answers 9