Destiny asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

What would happen if my dog ate melatonin?

I had a very small handful of melatonin, about 5 or 6 chewable 5mg per one. I accidentally set it down on a low area and my 10 week german Shepherd puppy ate them. What should I do?

Call your vet IMMEDIATELY. Melatonin is a hormone.

And figure out how to be a good pet parent and puppy proof your life.

• J C

Totally depends on too many factors - the weight and age of the dog, the amount ingested. You need to be calling a vet with that question, not people here. It's likely to be OK - but what if it's not? In the future recognize that any thing left out - especially with a puppy - is likely to be eaten. Its YOUR responsibility to prevent that from happening to avoid questions like this and an accidental poisoning.

Ask your vet, phone calls are free in most areas or call poison control, cost $65. Or take the pup to an ER vet, your choice.

It was your responsibility to keep your pup safe by whatever means necessary, puppy/dog proof your premises, put everything away so it can't access anything when you aren't supervising as well as securely containing the pup/dog in the same puppy/dog proofed area Only when you can't supervise. Constant supervision, at all other times, teach it the 'Leave it' command which may one day save it's life.

• Jojo

Melatonin Side Effects in Dogs. While melatonin is regarded as safe for most dogs, it's still important to talk to your veterinarian before administering it to your pet. Dosage will depend on the size of the dog and his sensitivity to the drug. ... The biggest side effect to melatonin is drowsiness.

Source(s): Web information.
  • Robert

Let him sleep it off.

Probably nothing other than him getting sleepy.