I have no clue what just came out of my bathtub?

so One of our housemates forgot to pay the water bill, and our water was shut off (for no more than 5 hours). We called and got it up and running again. But my toilet wouldn’t fill. So I figured I would use the bathroom and dump water from the tub into the toilet to force it through. When I filled up my cooking pot with bath water, neither hot nor cold, the water turned brown and a sand type of sediment came out of the faucet. I’m not sure if it is sand though, as it’s sort of beady, but not at a rougher sand consistency. We have an ant problem so I’m reeeeally hoping these aren’t eggs (blech). Some background to my geography, I am very close to the water department in the city of Santa Cruz. So this is city water. Can someone please tell me what this could be?

Favorite Answer

It's just sediment lying in the pipes that's been forced out bow after the stoppage. Nothing to worry about. It will clear. Run your bathtub tap to clear it. Preferably into a bucket you dump outside. No sense putting that stuff into your drains. Use the bathtub because it has no aerator like your faucets do. If you use the faucet the sediment may clog your aerator.

• D50

It sounds like turning the water off and on stirred up rusty sediment in the pipes. Just run the water until it is clear.

if the taps do not run properly now,you guys need a plumber,it you rent,& he,the landlord does not act consult the city bldg/housing dept about the guy,the process is to notify the landlord asap about this,if no water,it is unsafe,hence dangerous,

if you are the owner, the city inspector says 'not our fault' you have to cough up enough to pay a plumber to scope the problem,,if the yechy water comes from

the city supply,call the tv nets & have neighbors do the same,cities these days are hard pressed to pay bills everywhere

Yes - just sediment. We're have a condo where each unit owner shuts-off their water when they're away for more than a day..........even if only off for 3 days, we found dislodged sediment when we turned it back on...........now, we open the cold water tap in the bathtub that's furthest away from the mains before we turn the water on when we return = = = a LOT of sediment comes out every time. (we use a tub tap as they don't have aerators which would be clogged by the sediment).

the pipes are being flushed by your water off, water on thing. it'll go away ... let the water run 5 minutes in each tap

It is just sediment. It is normal for there to be some sediment in pipes -- could be the city pipes or your house plumbing or both. Just run both hot and cold water from the tub faucet until it runs clear, then run the other faucets until they also become clear.