I need some good vegetarian recipes?

I'm thinking of going semi-vegetarian. Most kinds of meat gross me out except turkey and shrimp. All other kinds are disgusting. I'm thinking of become vegetarian for most of the year but eat shrimp (my birthday) and turkey (Thanksgiving) once a year. Eventually I'll probably try to cut out all meat since I doubt I can cut it off all at once though I have no intention of cutting off dairy or eggs.

That said, what are some good recipes that are NOT beans and rice? I like beans and rice just fine but I don't want it to be my main source of food. How does seitan taste and is the texture good? And is it very expensive or time-consuming to make?

Personally I don't like it much and don't think of meals as a bit of this with that. I tend to work out a balanced meal by all ingredients, especially five a day, and then decide how they should be cut, cooked and combined to frequently end up with a one bowl meal. A current favourite is barley cooked with chilli to which I add cooked lentils and dry roasted peanuts with chopped fresh herbs. I then add citrus juice plus a little oil and prepare veg such as capsicum, celery, sweet potato, onion and a green to micro, keeping texture and crunch. Toss together with black pepper, sunflower seeds. Very filling.

Try cider-battered onion rings as side dish.

Chop 1 onion into rings.

Mix flour & seasoning with enough dry cider to make a thin-ish batter.

Heat your favourite oil (I think sunflower works best) up, dip the rings in the batter & deep fry for a couple of minutes.

Is cider seen as vegan? I'm not sure. If it is, then thus is also a vegan recipe too.

They're yummy!

• Cammie

You will have to do some research on how to keep calories at a normal level and get enough protein.

make vegan bolognaise

asda meat free mince meat

tomatoes[tinned]

garlic

mushrooms

herbs and spaghetti

"Semi-vegetarian" - LOL!

you can make almost any regular recipe and just skip the meat.

For example, chili. Use more beans or use kasha instead of meat and carry on with the recipe.

Mac and cheese, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich, egg omelets with veggies and cheese are all vegetarian meals. Keep thinking along those lines.

You can also use a TVP as a ground beef substitute in soups and hotdishes.

• Louis

Good for you!

I think the best advice I can give you is to make a trip to the library and check out some cookbook. Flip thru the pages and when you see something that looks good - try making it.

Next go to the grocery store and buy some seitan. If you like it you can try making it yourself.

Another good idea is to think of a meal you already really like. Maybe its pizza, lasagna, pasta, or veal parmigiana. Then just google it with the word vegetarian before it. For just about every recipe there is a vegetarian version.

• Todd

Black bean chili. It sounds complicated, but it's not. The beans provide the protein. The key is seasoning and vegetables and, if you're adventurous, some kind of berry, that can be friends with the tomato. No recipe, because for me, chili is a taste as you go thing. If you don't want to batch cook, maybe veggie tacos. Same thing, beans as protein.

Check out YouTube for vegetarianvegetarian meal ideas.

Same for Pintrest, Facebook and social media sites.

As for Seitan, depends on the recipe as yo the texture and taste, as well as how time consuming it is to make. Some are boil and bake, others boil only and many bake only.

I not vegetarian, but I have made and eaten many different textures and flavors of seitan. Some I liked and others I didn't. So you are going to have to sample a few, and pick those you like.

• ?

refer to vegetariantimes.com; it's one of my favorite websites.