I submitted my final research paper 3 days after it's due and I got a zero. My grade dropped from A+ to B. Is this fear? Is it my fault?

I took the class in summer. I have to admit that the professor announced that no late work will be accepted due to the short time (5 weeks). All the work was done to the last day of the semester. I submitted all the work except for the final paper which worth 500/3700. I got A in all the assignments and I noticed that that he didn't grade the final paper. I sent him an email and he said that I'm 3 days late and he simply ignored my emails. I kept sending him emails and he simply ignored me. I got a zero for the paper and my grade dropped from A+ to B. What should I do? Is it my fault or his fault that I got a zero for that assignment? I think he is too harsh?

At university and college you are an adult and expected to behave like one. Getting things in on time is part of being an adult. You were late. To bad. For the prof to accept your paper late would be unfair to all the others who got it done on time.

Here is the thing. In the adult world, life is not fair. And it you while about something being unfair after you mess up is a fast way to lose your job if you at it at work.

We have a poster at work with the phases that are suggested you do not say if you ever expect to be around there a while. "Its not fair" is on the list.

A B is not so bad, unless you're pre-med or something. Consider it an inexpensive lesson. Everybody misjudges at times. The thing is, what would you do differently next time? Start the paper earlier? Take less classes? Turn in something by the deadline, even if it's junk?

I give you credit for doing the paper anyway, but fear that it may have been because you thought it would be accepted. If you're the type to finish something even if you won't get credit for it, that's an advanced trait. There was one assignment in computer science that I never got to work in school (lexical analyzer), but after I graduated, I wrote the program from the ground up, just for closure.

Yes, it's fair. You were given a time frame and you ignored it / missed it. Sucks that it happened, but those things need to be learned.

• Robyn

You submitted the paper three days late. If it was like, the next day I could see him being more lenient, but you were three days late. That's 100% your fault. You should've had it done on time. That's how college works.

Completely fair. It is your responsibility to turn your work in on time.

Why do you think he was "too harsh"? He announced up front that no late work would be accepted (you could have dropped the class at that point if you felt that was not acceptable.). You submitted your paper late; you got a zero. How is this *his* fault?

If, *before* the paper was due, you knew you needed an extension, you needed to contact him about it (again, *before* the paper was due). If he was ignoring your e-mails, you needed to call him or contact him in person. That said, unless you were actually hospitalized, you should have had no expectation that he would grant the requested extension.

(And if the reason your paper was late was because you *were* actually hospitaized, bring him the documentation and I'm sure he'll grade your paper).

You were informed in advance that NO late work would be accepted. Totally your fault for handing in the paper late. No wonder you got no credit for it. You knew the consequences, so deal with it.

You're lucky you still got a B for final grade. Some professors will fail a person for failing to submit a final paper on time - i.e. no final paper = not passing the course.

If you did submit the work late, that is 100% your fault and the professor has every right to give you a zero on that assignment. The teacher is not being too harsh -- he informed you of the policy and has applied that policy. As an adult, you are expected to do things on time or face the consequences. What you should do is learn from this situation and turn in your work on time in the future.

The professor isn't responding to your emails because the matter has already been settled.

• Laurie

Completely your fault. MOST college teachers will not accept, nor will they grade, late papers.

There is a rule about college: NEVER turn in a paper, or take an exam, or give a presentation late. Even if you're not finished, or you're not ready, turn it in/do it ANYWAY.

This is your new motto: ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN A ZERO.

You're lucky you're getting an B. This happened to me on a midterm exam in Anthropology, and my semester grade went from a A+ to a C.

• drip

So you know , if your paper is handled in late, you will receive a zero on it.

You hand it in late. You got a zero.

How is that the professors fault? No it is not the professors fault, it is yours.