Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 years ago

Can I get a US visa if I want to buy an ice cream franchise in the US and be self-employed?

Who will sponsor my visa in this case?

7 Answers

  • 2 years ago

    No way to immigrate. Buying an ice cream franchise will NOT meet requirements for investment in a new business which will create the requisite number of new jobs for Americans. No investor visa.

    Only qualified employers can apply for temporary employment visas for their qualified foreign employees. So no self-employment.

  • 2 years ago

    Probably not. There are special visas for investors, but i don't think an ice cream franchise would be enough.

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    No. You have to create 10 new, permanent, full time jobs for 10 Americans with your US$1000000 investment in order to qualify.

  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)applications next received on 1st April in this current year

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-25 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this (World Education Services - International Credential Evaluation Expertise) ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©


    The regulations define a "specialty occupation" as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor including but not limited to biotechnology, chemistry, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts, and requiring the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

    Try the company you buy the franchise from.

  • 2 years ago

    There is an investment level where you can. It's 500,000 and sometimes up to 1 million.

    Then you are self sponsored.

  • Sure

    As long as your ice cram franchise involves an investment of a million dollars or half that in the inner city or Appalachia and will employ 25 Americans.

    They hand out these visas to people who buy condos these days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.