Can you have two Managing Editors in the same publishing house?

I just got offered a position in an one of the leading international business publishing house (e.g. like Bloomberg) as a Senior Web Editor. Now they already have a Managing Editor for their print. However, they need someone to manage everything from homepage to social media. When I asked the CIO and the EIC they told me the digital position is in equivalence to that of the managing editor. Can I negotiate for the title to be changed to a Digital Managing Editor (or a close simile perhaps?)

• Diane

Of course you can. What could prevent you? Companies can construct their own businesses however they choose. I heartily recommend not making a big deal about your title until you've been there a while and best not even then. It betrays a tendency towards pettiness.

Talk with the CIO and the EIC, kindly, gently offer the logic of your perspective. Be willing to accept the position in either case.

Somewhat related: "101 Things Every Young Adult Should Know" by Sir John Hawkins.

You can certainly ask. It depends how much bureaucracy they have to go through to change a job title.