Magma asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

Can you prevent mental illness by being aware of it?

For instance, If I was aware of schizophrenia and that hearing voices was bad..could I condition my brain to not hallucinate? Like If I heard voices I would know immediately that something was wrong and maybe it wouldn' t develop?

(Serious answers only please!)

No you cannot seeing as it’s caused by genetics and chemical imbalances in the brain. I say that as someone with severe OCD. I’d love to condition my brain to not cause the reactions and anxiety it does but I can’t because it’s impossible.

if you could be aware of it you wouldn't be mentally ill

No, it's a chemical malfunction in the brain. Hallucinations are extremely vivid as are auditory hallucinations. You can be aware of them and know they're not real but they'll still be there without medications.

• Jim

Below are my top three ‘simple’ solutions in the preliminary period of healing. These solutions are simple but that doesn’t mean easy. They were put in place slowly and simultaneously, and as they were, each influenced and strengthened the other.

1. Stabilize the Basics: I moved from the unsettling rooming house in which I lived and into my parents’ home (bless their hearts). I begrudgingly faced reality, swallowed my pride and applied for social assistance and disability status. I sent away for a subsidized bus pass. My meals were looked after. I could do my laundry. When forced to struggle with the everyday nitty-gritty, I could do little to fortify my mental health. But once these were in place, I could focus on getting well.

2. Trust and the Psychiatrist: If I was going to work with a psychiatrist, it was imperative I trust him. It was essential he partnered with me rather than dictated to me. Regardless of how wise he might be, if trust failed to be established, progress could not occur. I actively searched, discarded and searched again for the right fit. I had the luxury of living in a city that offered me alternatives. If you don’t have option and have something less than ideal, strengthen the less than palatable ties you do have while building a network you do cherish.

3. Club ‘Medication’: I resisted and resisted until I feared I’d continue seeing the inside of hospital walls and wear minty green cotton smocks for the rest of my days. I hated the idea of ‘succumbing’ to a crutch. But doing without meds was creating more harm than good. The positive relationship I had with Dr. D. and the respect I received from him allowed me to try anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. When I found the right combination, I was stunned. Side effects were minimal. The dark veil began to lift. Mania and psychosis failed to rear their ugly heads. I began to feel like myself. It took many trials and errors before finding the correct dosage and type, but once uncovered, I sheepishly admitted medication was a viable answer for me. Not the only answer, but part of my arsenal of management skills.