Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 years ago

Can your stove cause an explosion if the gas is turned on but unlit?

My stove is starting to break down and sometimes won't light up and one time I turned the stove on but didnt notice that the gas was not lit. If that happens again and the stove does turn on will my entire kitchen explode?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • D50
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

    It would have to be pretty gassy to explode. Basements generally explode because gas is heavier than air, so it sinks into the basement. No one is down there so the odor goes unnoticed. Be more careful and you'll be all right.

  • james
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    Yes. But normally it is more a woosh sound & flame that last but a second as the gas burns. It can set your hair on fire. Burn a few things in the house if inside. Unless you live in one of those places with piped in gas not 13 kilo bottles.

  • ricky
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    It certainly could. Please have that checked

  • R K
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    yes. if the house fills with gas, any spark or flame will cause an explosion. it will level your house, not just your kitchen and maybe set your neighborhood on fire.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    The risk is real but it isn't as disastrous as people are trying to tell you.

    Long before the gas/air mix reaches the lower explosion point, the odorant in the gas will have driven you completely out of the house. Seriously. It's pretty darned difficult to stay in the same room with even a minor leak, the odorant is that strong.

    So if you smell gas, find the leak and turn it off. If you smell gas so strongly you can't even stay in the same room with it, get the hell out and call emergency services.

  • 2 years ago

    If any open flame or anything flammable appears near it then yes it can ignite. If the gas is on and unlit it’s also pouring carbon monoxide into the air which isn’t safe at all

  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    It sure could - the whole BUILDING could explode - if there is a spark (such as from static electricity, or from dropping an object on a hard floor).

  • 2 years ago

    Yeah a little bit. Check this out. Used to be a house.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    right mix of gas and air, add a spark, and boom. Completely possible.

  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

    potentially yes that could definitely happen, if it sits there blowing unlit gas into the room until a high enough concentration builds up

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.