Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 years ago

Is it legal to use someone's else unprotected Wifi connection?

Yesterday, I accidentally clicked someone's else Wifi connection when the Wifi popup came out as I didn't turn on my modem yet. Surprisingly, it worked and I realized it doesn't have the lock symbol which means its not secured with a password, I'm not sure whose Wifi is it but it says "Function and Meeting Room". I live in an apartment so I guess it can be owned by my apartment. I used for a while only. I live in Malaysia, is it legal here (in this country)? I hope I'm not in trouble...hopefully whoever who owns it didn't notice about it. I didn't do it on purpose and it's just an accident/mistake.

Favorite Answer

Its fine as you did that accidentally. Moreover, it’s an unprotected connection means that it can be accessed by anyone. So there is no legal barrier on you. It can only be applicable if you try to access a private Wi-Fi trough an unauthorized way.

technically yes but no one would take it seriously if they wanted to take it to court or call the cops, it wasn't password protected and you are told the risk of your connection being unprotected. when you get internet there's automatically a password you are given for your wifi. if its unprotected then that means they went out of there way to remove the password so its free game. if someone decides that they want to get on a use up the connection that the owners fault for leaving their service unprotected. that's like leaving your car door open and wondering why your car got stolen.

No, that isn't legal, and could be a trap so the owner could gather information from your computer while connected to their system. I know a person who was invited to use a neighbor's WiFi connection while they were waiting on their ISP service to be connected. They wound up getting their computer hacked by someone who was also using the "free" WiFi signal.

I do not think you need worry. It those responsible for the WiFi facility were concerned about people using, they could have secured it. I have a feeling they did not realise that the signal could be picked up outside the rooms for which it is intended.

Accessing or even attempting to access a network without the owner's permission is illegal. This applies to open (unencrypted) WiFi networks and wire networks as well as encrypted WiFi networks.

If you connected to a network and even started using it without realising it was not your network, then it is still illegal if you do not have permission; however, you might have grounds for leniency if legal proceedings follow. But, if you found out it was not you network and you did not immediately disconnect, then you could be open prosecution.

Operating systems such as Windows 10 have an option to connect automatically to open WiFi networks. For your own safety, this option should be disabled.

I hope this helps.

• Adrian

Not legal. It is considered "theft of telecommunications" in most jurisdictions.

A word of caution, open wifi is often run by local hackers, capturing all your information as you use their open wifi. It is not safe to use something you don't know about...

• Richard
      2 years agoReport

It may also be a way of being infected with a virus or malware.

• Lv 7

most new routers are preset with a password now. if someone doesn't have a password, it is an open invitation to use their network.

kind of like leaving your front door open.

• Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Walking through an unlocked front door and stealing is still a crime.

Yes. It presumably belongs to a nearby hotel or business centre and is provided for the benefit of guests, but as it is not password protected they can hardly complain if any one else uses it.

If it's an unprotected (open) wifi connection, you're fine. You won't get into trouble. And chances are the person wouldn't even notice it happened unless you streamed a lot.