Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 year ago

Are humans' brains designed a certain way so that they will want to find a mate who will spend the rest of their life with?

I have once heard from someone that humans' brains are designed a certain way so that they will want to find a mate who will spend the rest of their life with. But I don't believe that at all. I don't think romance love is actually real at all or at least is not near as powerful and special as type of a love people make it out to be.

About at least half of couples breaking up with each other or divorcing each other is proof that romance love is not real at all or that type of love is not near as powerful and special as people make it out to be. I think that romance love is more of a type of lust rather than a type of love.

I do however believe that platonic love exists, since a platonic bestfriend is way more likely to stay in a person's life and love them until death (unlike how a boyfriend or girlfriend or husband or wife would).

I personally think the world would be a better place if humans got rid of romance love and just stick with platonic love. Like I think humans should stop dating and getting married, and just stick with having platonic bestfriends.

Also people can still have children without dating or marriage. In the animal world, once a male animal is done mating and impregnating a female animal, they instinctually leave them forever.

• John P
    1 year ago

All living things have an instinct to reproduce. In mammals, including humans, that is done sexually.

1 year ago

Yes.

You would like reading “The Anatomy of Love: a natural history of marriage, adultery and divorce” by Helen Fisher. She goes right into what you are talking about.

Very interesting and informative book.

• y
    1 year ago

This is an age old debate, pick your side and go for it, becouse as of yet. It can;t be proven one way or the other.

• Doug H
    1 year ago

Obviously, you don't believe in God who created in the world in such a way that it would work perfectly. What you have described is man's idea's of love and romance and that is why things are out of whack. Just like your describing your own world, which you think would be perfect - it would not be perfect with imperfect people and you not being God who is perfect. Infact you describe the human race to act just like the animals, mate and leave. Some of us do act like animals and that is part of the problem that original think you could solve with what you described. God created man and woman to be together (no divorce) create a family and so on...you say, we should have best friends and mate and leave....do you see any flaw in your plan? The flaw in Gods plan is not his flaw but our own flaw as many of us do what you described and now you see all the problems that come from us doing our own thing rather than follow Gods plan.

• iTsUrB0i1 year agoReport

Believing in god doesn't mean that God made everything perfect.

• JimZ
    1 year ago

My wife is also my best "plutonic" love. I don't see how it would work otherwise. It is that reason I want to spend my life with her. So IMO, you are right but you may not see it clearly.