Could this be a scam on eBay?

I'm interested in buying a laptop on eBay for around €500. I'm planning to pay with PayPal. It's a pretty good deal but I'm nervous of purchasing it because of the size of the transaction. The seller has completely positive feedback and has received 26 positive reviews in the past 12 months. He only... show more I'm interested in buying a laptop on eBay for around €500. I'm planning to pay with PayPal. It's a pretty good deal but I'm nervous of purchasing it because of the size of the transaction. The seller has completely positive feedback and has received 26 positive reviews in the past 12 months. He only has 2 written reviews, 1 in English praising him and another in a foreign language. Ebay says he is from Bucuresti RO. I am in Ireland. I contacted him and he agreed to lower the price by €35 but no more than that. His English was very poor. I am wondering if there are any unusual signs here or if there is anything I should do to ensure compensation from PayPal in the event of it being a scam or if there are any loopholes in PayPal that he could exploit. Maybe I am just being overly skeptical, but it is a large transaction and I just want to be sure. Another thing I was wondering was, will there be any customs duties or other mandatory payments for the items shipping or does this only occur for items outside of Europe?
9 answers 9