My husband works overtime every day. The employer says he doesn't have to pay for over time. Is their a law about over time pay?

We live in Indiana. He is paid salary and commission. He used to just drive his route then stop when he was finished. They told him he had to sign a paper to agree to also work in the warehouse. The paper also said he would agree to work at least 45 hours but only get paid for 40. They say this keeps him from overtime pay.

His check stub says Salary, and a amount paid. It Also has Commission and a amount paid. I don't know about any of it. I do know he had to go to work at 2:00 am and deliver another drivers route. Then he had to get his own route delivered. He was paid NOTHING for the other drivers route. He worked 16 hours in that one day. If I knew everything I wouldn't be asking .

Favorite Answer

commision

do you and he understand the idea of commision? how much is he takes home on that? that is his overtime

I assume he is not doing well at the job and no getting much in commission

I suggest "HE" consider and different job

BUT I have seen many wives like you who kibitz their husbands and his job -- that is often the sign she is a spender not a budgeter

in most cases the wife was the problem not the job

I think as my wife says men are stupid and she means they let women bully them and use them

I hope you find peace in your life..... this overpay is not it

There is but there are exceptions. More info is needed to answer.

OT laws are state specific, and in almost every state, they are based on weekly hours, not daily. Some industries are exempt. Salaried employees are often exempt.

USA if you husband is an hourly employee they have to pay, if he is a salaried supervisor type they probably do not have to pay, OT is figured if the total for the week of an hourly employee is over 40 hours https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

No. He is PAID SALARY not PAID HOURLY you clearly are ignorant as to the difference. There is no such thing as "overtime" when he is getting a SALARY now if he was getting paid HOURLY there would be overtime pay! Get a brain and let him have his BALLS BACK!

Clearly he WANTS TO work that much as from this I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY HE'D PREFER TO WORK THAN BE WITH YOU since you are not nearly as smart as you think yourself to be and so FREAKING DEMANDING AND BOSSY!!!!!!

• Maxi

He is a salaried employee, not an hourly paid employee...so of course he isn't paid overtime

• xyzzy

If he gets paid overtime or not depends on how he is classified. If he is an hourly employee and works over 40 hours in a week then he gets overtime. If he is on salary then he does not get over THE no matter how many hours he works.

yes. Unless he's salaried.

Yes there is, he has to pay overtime and more than regular pay too.