What will my personal insurance do if I had an accident that was not in vehicle?

I had an accident at work in a truck back in January. I was cited for a minor violation, was issued no points and the accident is actually listed as a not at fault. No other cars involved, no injuries. Damage severity only says "property". I'm in PA if that matters. How will my personal insurance company handle this? Will they cancel my policy? Have not had an accident in 3 years+. Company is USAA. Any advice here would be appreciated. I have had another accident before but they are years old, beyond the time frame they take into consideration when you're already a customer.

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

Your personal insurance won't even know about it. Company vehicles are under the company's auto insurance. You are of course responsible for the fines, etc, if you got any but as far as any repairs either to the truck you were driving or the property that got damaged will be on the company's insurance policy. Not yours. Your insurance policy only covers your car that you have listed on it. It doesn't cover whatever vehicle you're driving. When you drive someone elses vehicle, unless you're on their insurance policy as a driver, it's pretty much like driving without insurance because the insurance company will not cover anything that happens if it's not your vehicle that's listed on your policy or driven by someone named on the policy as a driver.

The employer owns the vehicle, so their insurance will respond to the accident. Your insurance company won't get involved in the claim at all.

As for your future rating, that's a definite maybe. I don't have a copy of USAA's Pennsylvania underwriting manual, so I can't say for sure. I'll bet the folks at USAA do, though.

If it was in a vehicle owned by your employer, it is THEIR insurance that will handle it. However, your personal rates will probably go up because all insurance companies list accident claims in a database shared by all other insurance companies. Once your insurance company learns of the accident, they'll probably raise your rates so you might as well tell them about it. If you don't then they CAN drop you if they wish. The small print in your policy probably says the contract is void if you fail to report any accident you're in, no matter what vehicle you're driving or whose fault it is.

YOUR auto insurance does not matter; the employers insurance is the one to be notified of the accident & it's your superior who will do that not you