How do I cook a whole fish?

I am a good cook, but I never cooked a whole fish. I have a 1.3 lb bronzini that was gutted, and has the head attached. At the place where I bought, they suggested I put lemon and spices inside it, and cook it in a little butter and wine for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Does that sound like a good idea? It's for 2 people.

Also, a couple of basic questions:

(1) Should I leave the head on while cooking it?

(2) Once it's cooked, do I simply cut off the head, slice it down the middle and serve it?

Thank you!

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

That is exactly right, and yes, you cut off the head before or after cooking [but don't throw it away; it and the tail make great fish stock, which you can freeze and use later], unless you're trying to be an old European... (And the lemon does wonders.) Also, try to use white wine, and maybe dilute it with a little water, so the fish both bakes and steams at the same time.

• Laurie

The cooking method sounds perfect.

Some restaurants remove the head before cooking, others serve the fish whole, complete with head.

See below.