How do I respond to an insisting military recruiter?

A few weeks ago, I got contacted through text by a Marine recruiter (probably through school). He wanted me to come down to his recruiting station to learn more about the Marines. I never thought about a career in the military so I went to just check it out but never to like start training and enlist.He have me some flyers and I filled out basic information but never signed anything. He was telling me, I got to sign up with Im 17 (in 1 week) so that I can register for the ASVAB. I ignored all that and went on with my day/summer. A few days later he texts me saying how was I doing. Kept telling him I was looking at other branches and colleges. He kept arguing the Marines were the best and the proudest. Few days later he contacts me again with the same question. How do I get him to back off considering he was nice when I met him?

• Jason
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Recruiters are salespeople. You've led him to believe you are interested in joining the military. His job is to sell you on the Marine Corps. He's going to keep doing that until you tell him you're not interested. If you tell a car salesman you're thinking about buying a car, he's going to keep trying to get you to buy his car. If you tell ANY salesman you're thinking about buying their product, they're going to keep trying to sell to you until you tell them you're not interested. Ignoring recruiters doesn't work. They are good at what they do because they are PERSISTENT.

If you want him to stop contacting you then tell him so directly. This is the military. We don't deal with hints and passive-aggressive BS. You have something to say, say it and be done with it. Tell him straightforwardly that you're not joining the Marines. He'll stop trying and move on to someone else. Right now he just thinks you need convincing.

• 1 year ago

stop taking his calls, block his calls on your cell

• ?
    1 year ago

Sounds like a fake. You are only 16 and not eligible for US military service. Also, in most cases they don't take people without graduating from HS or in the last year.

• 1 year ago

I don't know who sent the text, but I GUARANTEE it was not a military recruiter.

More than likely, it is someone attempting to get you to give personal information to allow them to steal your identity.

• 1 year ago

You don't. Ignore them and they'll eventually get a clue.

• 1 year ago

How about being truthful, you have no intention of joining any military, that should take care of your issue. Just tell the truth in a nice way.

• 1 year ago

Just don't reply to the texts.

• 1 year ago

You could tell him you've decided on a career as a fashion model--after your sex-change operation.

Seriously, just tell him you aren't interested in the Marines and ask him to stop calling. End of story.

• Matt
    1 year ago

Tell him you've decided to join the Navy.