Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 years ago

I am scared of crossing the street?

I live in a small town where the nearest store is 6 miles away, so if I need something small and basic without going all the way into town I have to bike to the store. I do not have my driver's license yet, so taking a car is not an option. I would not be afraid, except for one problem: the store is on the opposite side of the street, on a corner (so I cannot see the vehicles coming ahead of time), there are no street lights or crossing zones, and it's difficult to hear the traffic coming around the corner. Because our town is small, the traffic isn't usually very heavy. However, though this means there's less of a chance of a car coming around the corner, there is still the problem that I will not know if there IS. I nearly got hit by a car coming around that corner once last year and I've been too scared to bike to the store since.

What should I do about this? I've considered biking further down the road to a straight stretch, crossing the road, and doubling back, but this seems like an awful lot of trouble, and then I'd have to repeat this process to get home. I cannot cross ahead of time on a less busy part of the road, because there is an intersection a quarter mile before the store so I will have to cross anyway, and that part of the road is much more busy.

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking that biking down the road to a straight stretch might be the best option at this point...

• Scott

If the store is SIX MILES away, then you have SIX MILES to find a safe place to cross the road. There's a great big world out there, don't be afraid of it.

Go down the street to somewhere farther from the corner so that you can cross safely.

• JetDoc

Sux to be you! Ask your mommy to hold your hand so you can cross the street safely.

Just grow a pair. Seriously. There is risk in every aspect of life. You need to learn to assess daily risk and to place an appropriate weighting upon those risks. It’s called Dynamic Risk Assessment. People naturally do that every day before ever hearing those words.

If you live in the back of beyond, and learn simple primary school road-crossing basics of “stop, look and listen both ways, look and listen again and then proceed with caution, looking and listening all the way”, then you will minimise your risks. You can NEVER eliminate all risks from your life.

Go further to where crossing is safer, then double back.

If I were that afraid of it, I would do as you suggested.