Who was the face of the Attitude Era (1997 to 2002)?

Here are my top candidates (not in a specific order):

For Men:

Stone Cold Steve Austin

The Rock

The Undertaker

Triple H

Kurt Angle

Mick Foley

Kane

Big Show

Bret Hart

Shawn Michaels

Chris Jericho

Chris Benoit

Sycho Sid

Vader

nWo (Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, and Kevin Nash)

Booker T

Rob Van Dam

Diamond Dallas Page

Edge and Christian

The Hardy Boyz

The Dudley Boyz

Owen Hart

The British Bulldog

The New Age Outlaws

X-Pac

Ken Shamrock

Vince McMahon

Shane McMahon

...and More

For Women:

Trish Stratus

Lita

Chyna

Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley

Jacqueline

Ivory

Molly Holly

Sable

Tori

Sunny

Debra

Terri

Luna Vachon

Torrie Wilson

Stacy Keibler

Jazz

The Fabulous Moolah

Mae Young

...and More

Note: I added those wrestlers from 1997 as the Dawn of the Attitude Era: Form of Pre-Attitude Era (January 1 to August 3, 1997) and Women Wrestlers too. Don't forget a few of The Alliance members and Post Attitude Era (January 1 to May 4, 2002).

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The answer to the Men's side and overall has to be Stone Cold Steve Austin, he is universally known as the face of arguably wrestling's most popular era. Although in the long run, The Rock (who was practically second to Austin in this time) turned out to be more popular than everyone in the Attitude era, back then Austin was the embodiment of everything attitude, had most of the spotlight in the superior company in this war (even today obviously), brought in the most merchandise, ratings, ticket sales, crowd reactions, and buzz, with the help of WCW eventually kicking themselves in their own ***.

For the women's side I would either say Stephanie as she was the corporate female face (occasionally wrestled), Trish as she was the same but majorly as a wrestler, or Chyna as she was similar to Stephanie but played a much larger wrestling role, somewhat similar to the latter. She also did break the most barriers regarding expectations of women performers in the professional wrestling business or women in sports or women in GENERAL! All of the other women mentioned in your list were either past their prime (cough cough Mae Young), seconds to the three women I perceive and mentioned as the female face of the Attitude Era, found greater success in the Ruthless Agression Era (ex. Lita), or weren't quite influential as the top female stars during this time period.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

The rock and trish

☆ Sent from iOS Dr. Know! 1.1.04

• Uzaif
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Stone Cold Steve Austin.

• 1 year ago

Stone Cold

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Stone cold ice cold

• Stone Cold Steve Austin for The Men

Lita for the Women

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Stone Cold. From 1997 to 2002, he was the top guy.

• Lifeisaride
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

I would say 1998 to 2001 as 1997 it was still Shawn Michaels as Austin was still reaching his boiling point and in 2002 Austin started going down the card.

• 1 year ago

Stone Cold.

• 1 year ago

Its was DX. hands down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.