College: Would you prefer to live in a dorm or live at home? Which one is better?

Favorite Answer

Dorm. Unless there are family/financial restrictions, I highly believe that full time students should not go to college within commuting distance of their hometown. The life learning experience is completely different and better.

It depends.

I NEVER would have chosen to live at home during college! I was so eager to live on my own, make new friends, and experience campus life. It was well worth a bit of discomfort (no A/C, having to share a room, etc.) just for the freedom of not living with parents.

I would have considered it a total failure to have to move back home after I graduated; I almost didn't take a great apartment after I graduated, because it woud be two weeks before I could move into it (I think I graduated on May 15 and the apartment was available June 1) and I'd have to live at home during that time! Kids are different these days, I guess.

home is way more comfortable. Dorms are tiny and room mates are loud and dirty

I would personally rather live at home. People say that you miss out on the college experience if you don't live on the dorms which I guess is partly true. But not everyone wants to live in the dorm and I'm not going to college to **** around anyway. I'm going to get an education and I don't need to live at the school for that. I could see how it would be nice to meet new people, but it's not the end of the world if you don't live on the dorms.

• DON W

Living at home while attending a local university becomes a continuation of your high school experience, albeit with new courses and some new friends. If you can afford it, living in the dorms will make college a totally new experience, which will better help you get ready for adult life.

I'm with DEBS. Part of the college experience involves leaving the comfy nest and being entirely responsible for yourself, among others around your age, ideally from many walks of life.

If you live at home, you stunt your potential to grow and be self-reliant.

You do not get the full college experience unless you do dorm life. I did both.

A dorm. Home was hell on earth!

Peace.

Home I feel would be more comfortable, but if I am looking for the typical college experience and no parents a dorm.