Gabe asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 3 years ago

When will the Army get new helicopters?

If the Army awards a winner for a new helicopter to replace the blackhawks, how long before it will be put into effect? I'm interested in being a helicopter mechanic and would like to work one of the new helicopters, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance. Also if I go in as a 15t and they release a new helicopter could I transfer my mos to work on it?

• Mark B

They do not even have a new contract in place for a replacement helicopter. It will need to be developed, built, tested, refined, then fielded. Figure a minimum of 10 years from now.

If a new helicopter is fielded, it will be fielded with a few units. Normally, 1 unit will get it first to test out the performance and support. Training course will also need to be developed for the people that will be maintaining the helicopters. Usually, the first maintainers will be trained from the production company while course materials are developed.

There are too many Blackhawks in use by the military for them to go away and be completely replaced during your career.

Anytime a new vehicle is released, they take the prior mechanics and support personnel and throw them into it. Its not like if you become a Blackhawk mechanic, that they will get rid of you when they get rid of your platform

RANGER SCHOOL!