Can an insurance company add newborn to the mother's policy and cover the baby for the first 30 days no matter what?

My wife's insurance added our newborn to her policy automatically and state he is covered no matter what for the first 30 days even though I added him to my policy, and we never added our newborn to hers. This is causing many problems because for those 30 days her insurance is considered the primary due to a... show more My wife's insurance added our newborn to her policy automatically and state he is covered no matter what for the first 30 days even though I added him to my policy, and we never added our newborn to hers. This is causing many problems because for those 30 days her insurance is considered the primary due to a birthday rule (whoever's first), and causing me to still pay for bills despite reaching the max out of pocket on the policy to which I actually added him to.