Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 years ago

Advice needed.?

I am currently in France trying to learn the language. I arrived two days ago and have found a place to stay with a French local. Everything is great and she and I seem to have a lot in common and also learning English. On my first day of arrival it was great, I was spoken to completely in French and I replied in French also. But yesterday and today, I was engaged only in English and even when I tried to switch to French, she brought the conversation back to English or just replied in English each time. My dilemma is that, I'm here to learn French so I shouldn't be obliged to help or speak to her in English. I find it a bit unfair that I will be paying rent and sharing food costs as well as helping her improve her English by speaking communicating in English. Because if she had gone to an English speaking country trying to improve her English and someone learning French kept engaging her in French, it would be as equally unfair. That's in my opinion. What do you guys think about this and what should I do? Tomorrow is the day I have to pay for my first month's rent and I am deciding now if I should stay with her (and explain I don't want to speak English at all) or just find a new place to live where that person doesn't speak or is trying to learn English. Help please!

Thanks you everyone. We spoke about it last night and like the top commenter below mentioned, she kept 'reverting to English' to help me out because my French is not as good as her English. She has also agreed to speak to me only in French. Although I did agree for us to do an exchange where we have 1 day French and 1 day English that way we both can practice. Talking it out helped a lot! I think it works now for the both of us.

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

Obviously you have to speak to her about this before making any decisions. Is her English better than your French? That could be the issue. If it is, she may find it easier to converse in English than to deal with your French. However, if you make it clear that your goal is to learn French well, she may understand and stop speaking to you in English.

If not, then you'll have a month to find another place to stay.

• Bubblez2 years agoReport

Thanks for being direct. I suppose I am being hostile. But at the same time I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I'm here to learn French, she shouldn't see this as her opportunity to improve her English. I will be paying rent and sharing food costs and allowing her to continue to host others.

Go elsewhere to find a tutor.

Pay for what you need.

Let her know

Dis lui exactement ce que tu nous as dit ici ( tout).. Normalement elle doit comprendre que ça doit être un tour chacune.

Par exemple : Un jour en Anglais ( pour elle), le lendemain en Français ( pour toi ). Etc..

Ou bien si vous préférez toutes les deux : Une demi journée en Anglais et une demi journée en Français, etc...

• D
      2 years agoReport

welp, OP, you asked for it lol

Then make it clear that you will only be responding to her in French...let her ask you anything, (or communicate with you ) in English, just respond in French. Do that a few times, and your intentions will sink in.....

If she says " mais Mlle. en Anglais, SVP," you could say that you are here to learn and speak French, and will help correct her English, but the rest of all communication must be in French.

Also, suggest that you'd be happy to devote a couple of hours a day to really teaching her to speak English for a reduction in your rent and food costs.

If she is not agreeable to that, look around, and then drain the pond, and move on to a better place ( with a clear understanding that the new landlord only speaks to you in French...

Good luck with your studies...