Glucose tolerance test results?

I am not a diabetic, but I have been having symptoms of hypoglycemia. I had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test to see if that would give any answers. Here are the results:

glucose, fasting: 75 mg/dL

glucose, 1 hour: 51 mg/dL

glucose 2 hour: 57 mg/dL

glucose 3 hour: 44 mg/dL

My doctor takes a while to call and discuss results, and I am anxious to get an interpretation. Any thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Your blood glucose test results appear to indicate that you are PROBABLY suffering with reactive hypoglycemia, ma'am.

This occurs when your pancreas 'overproduces' insulin in response to an increase in your blood sugar (glucose) levels.

Unfortunately, there is no 'magic pill' that can cure this. Your doctor will suggest that you break down your daily diet so that you eat 5 or 6 smaller meals per day, rather than 3 main meals, that contain fewer carbohydrates, but also contain more protein and/or fats. (Fats and proteins slow down the absorption of glucose, which we get from the breakdown of carbohydrates during the digestive process, that get absorbed through the walls of the intestines into your bloodstream.)

The slower absorption of glucose into your bloodstream should, in all likelihood, mean that you don't get a sudden 'spike' in blood glucose levels. Your pancreas would then not need to produce such a large production of insulin, which SHOULD then mean that you don't suffer the hypoglycemic attacks that you have been experiencing.

I would ask that you wait for your doctor's diagnosis as I am NOT a medically qualified person, but I DO know about blood sugar (glucose) levels.

Edit:

It appears that I've upset some idiot who knows little to nothing about diabetes and/or blood glucose levels. I pity that person's lack of intelligence and understanding.