What happened to my laptop?

About 4 months ago I bit the bullet and purchased a gaming laptop after struggling to play games on my old computer. At first, it played any game on the highest settings at 80+ fps-which to me was amazing. However, as of 3 days ago, the entire laptop has slowed down, and now I get 15-40 on a game at the LOWEST... show more About 4 months ago I bit the bullet and purchased a gaming laptop after struggling to play games on my old computer.

At first, it played any game on the highest settings at 80+ fps-which to me was amazing.

However, as of 3 days ago, the entire laptop has slowed down, and now I get 15-40 on a game at the LOWEST settings, which is even worse than my old computer.

The laptop is a MSI GE72MVR Apache Pro, with intel core i7 7700hq processor, nvidia gtx 1070 graphics card, 8GB of video memory, 16gb of system memory, and 128gb of ssd space-which all of my games are run off of.

Given these specs, I should not be running games at such a low framerate. I have no idea what could have caused this slowdown. I clean the laptop regularly, I removed all the bloatware from it to ensure it runs smoothly, I don't visit shady websites to avoid viruses, I don't know whats going on. Any ideas?
Update: The only thing I can possibly link this to is when my laptop crashed randomly 3 times. I got the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL message each time, but it hasn't happened since. Could this be the problem?