Help! I'm sleepy tired all day every day & night for the past 3 years, and it's ruining my life and youth! I'm 24/male/white/Texas 5'7" 125.?

Good afternoon, my name is Jeff. I am 24 years old, male, white, American living in Dallas, Texas area. I am 5'8" and weigh around 125 pounds. Thin, pasty, and plenty athletic. I have one big problem that's been plaguing me really bad for the past 2-3 years... I'm EXTREMELY sleepy fatigued all day, every day, and there seems like there's nothing to do about it.

It's literally ruining my life. Regardless of how many hours of sleep I get at night (0 to 14 hours), I cannot be productive at work (9-5 office job) because I feel like falling asleep the entire time. Naps don't do any good, as I just get tired eyed again 30 minutes later. The sleepiness seems to be concentrated in my upper nose, eyes, throat, and upper abdomen. I've always been this skinny; never can gain weight. I normally eat 1-2 times a day (large meals) as I always have throughout my life.

All routine annual blood tests have come back virtually normal in every category, including my most recent one a few months ago.

My wife says I don't snore at all (never have snored), and I'm skinny and young? I did get diagnosed with a small left thyroid nodule in 2013 but my TSH is always pretty center normal. I don't have any underlying health problems, never have. I do sometimes wake up feeling a little short of breath and have a weird scratchy feeling sometimes when I swallow during the day.

Is it because I'm dreaming too much and not getting enough "delta" deep sleep? If so, how to fix this sleep cycle disorder?

Get tested for sleep apnea. You may be waking up a lot during the night. I was and didn't even know it.

Trust me all you need to do is stop being independent with your mind. You always ALWAYSSSSS have something to do no matter what, like looking for a better car, better job etc so keep your self active, avoid your phone (unless your making calls, lots of calls helps) and just do what needs to be done

Schedule an appointment with your family doctor. When the doctor asks what brings you in today show them what you have written here. Use that as a basis for having a frank discussion on how you are doing. They can do a full physical and neurological workup to see if have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. They can also check if anything you are taking or doing may be causing or contributing to your issue. They can refer you to a sleep specialist for a sleep study. Your family doctor can refer you to a dietitian or nutritionist to work on your diet and fitness goals. Your family doctor can refer you to a mental health professional who can evaluate your mental state. Be sure to show them what you have written here also. Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options can be discussed.

• m

You might have sleep apnea. I've known people whose life changed when they got diagnosed and got a CPAP...which forces oxygen into the blood stream and keeps people from stopping breathing during sleep. Talk to your doctor, for sure...and be diligent in trying to establish a regular routine (same bed time same get up time) keep a journal of what you eat and drink....and when...and be diligent in trying to take care of this. It's important for your health to get enough sleep.

You are very friendly - that's why, I sacrify my precious sleep; it is very late here. You have lyme disease - let a doctor make a test...even he (usually) refuse to make a test. Do you have amalgam fillings in your teeth? Than, you have a heavy metal poisoning in addition...and parasites because the body needs help to maintain the toxins; and thirdly: a huge lack of Vitamin d. Of course, you could have a lack of iodine. Make an iodine cure recommendated by Dr. Brownstein.

I've seen your other question about to become a full-body (e.g. nonliving) organ donor - people are "declared death" - they are still alive! because you cannot use organs of a dead body.

• Shanna

I don't think you're eating enough/properly.

You only eat once or twice a day? You should eat more.

There isn't enough info to go on here. If the problem isn't metabolic & your lab results are normal, the next logical area to check is your sleep routine-- how many hours per night you get, how much 'nap' time and the quality of your sleep. Could be as simple as oversleeping (since you mentioned 14 hours which is WAAAY too much for any adult) or something complex like sleep apnea. Talk to your doctor.

Source(s): Retired nurse

No one here can tell you what your sleeping problem is about. No one can diagnose a stranger over the internet.