Why is there so much propaganda around engineering for young people when its a terrible job/career?

I liked school or at least I was good at it. I always felt my self worth was tied to my grades in school etc. Computer science might be worth studying for freelance and higher salary and potentially better work environment but half of the graduates from engineering departments are getting computer science and IT... show more I liked school or at least I was good at it. I always felt my self worth was tied to my grades in school etc.

Computer science might be worth studying for freelance and higher salary and potentially better work environment but half of the graduates from engineering departments are getting computer science and IT degrees so its only a matter of time till those fields become over saturated.

If you get one short life why would you want to piss it away working in a CAD tube?