Should a television series be held responsible for advertising products that turn out to be harmful?

My father died of lung cancer from smoking which he started after watching gunsmoke, he was a fan of james arness. If it would have been anyone else telling him how great smoking was he would'nt have cared but arness was his hero. The tobacco industry was sued for advertising claims and lost but should t.v. industry make sure products are safe before showing them to millions of people.

Update:

Thank you to the people who gave me the great answers with an explanation...i learned something new.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

Television series do not advertise products. Television stations advertise products.

A station will buy a series from the producers and then sell ads to advertisers. The producers of the series have nothing to do with the decision about which ads are run during their program.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

It isn't them it is the station that makes the CHANNEL that the show is sown on, not the show itself. Most REASONABLY INTELLIGENT people would know that!

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

No

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.