Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 3 years ago

Please help there's something very wrong with my parrot!?

I didn't know he was sick until recently becuase my parents assumed it was old age and didn't tell me, now I'm afraid he's too sick. He's at the bottom of his cage and is making a high pitches whistling noise. He never makes noises like that and is generally a deep pitched bird. He's a conyure.

I looked up things and is it possible he has a fungle infection? We don't have air conditioning right now and are using a fan. He's capable of sometimes squawking normally but it's horse sounding. We took him out of the cage yesterday and he acted fine, he was talking walking around, grooming my mom. But this morning he is not at all.

Is this really old age or am I right and he has an infection?

It sure sounds like a respiratory problem. It does need Vet care ASAP. It could be heart trouble also. See if you can make payment arrangements. Good Luck!

Stop trolling! If you really had a sick bird, you'd be immediately rushing it to the vet!

TROLL ALERT! PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

• Kim R

It sounds like a respiratory infection, which a vet may be able to cure if you don't wait until it's too late. Other things that can cause problems are: spraying air fresheners near the bird; Febreeze is known to be very bad for them; and cooking using teflon-coated pans - the fumes easily kill birds, especially if the food is burnt. I hope he makes it, but it sounds like he's in trouble. When they're at the bottom of the cage, it's BAD. Take him to the vet now, and good luck.

Well... you mentioned there’s no air conditioning... how hot is your house?

Because anything over 75 degrees Fahrenheit and he could be suffering heatstroke. Lying at the bottom of his cage making odd noises and lethargy are definitely symptoms. And it would explain why sometimes he feels better and sometimes he feels worse. He would get worse at it gets hotter and feel better as it gets cooler.

Don’t point AC or fan AT him you don’t want to lower is body temp to quickly. Just put the AC on or take him into the car and run the AC. Aim to make it about 70. And see if he perks up.

You should definitely call a vet though, as heatstroke can be fatal.

I sincerely hope that your parrot is OK. My best wishes are yours, but I am no expert. Get an expert opinion.

However, I cannot resist making the following joke:

I'll never forget the last words my parrot said before dying... "S**t, I think there's something wrong with my parrot..."