Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 3 years ago

Could I get fired for refusing to pay $50?

It was rush hour when I received a fake $50 bill and didnt call a manager over because I dont consider a $50 to be a large bill (FYI i usually don’t call a manager to the back if I get a $50 bill). I ended up marking the bill but I didn’t look at it because my job was to get cars in and out as soon as possible. Then later, my manger asks me why I’m missing money and she finds out the $50 was counterfeit. So she’s making me pay for it but I’m refusing to pay because I didn’t call a manager over because I didn’t consider a $50 to be a big bill. Could my McDonald’s manger fire me for not paying the $50?

They cannot force you to repay the money. They CAN fire you for accepting a bad note. You can argue that you're being fired (if you are fired) for not paying back the money but you won't get far with it.

You do not consider $50 large genius only bill larger $100. You should be fired plain and simple end of discussion.

He can fire you and take the $50 out of your pay. You were negligent. You should be looking at what you are accepting as money. If you are not sure about a particular bill, call the manager for help. Your attempt at justification is nonsense. Would you accept a $20 funny money? Anything under $50?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

They sure can. Accepting any counterfeit bill is grounds for dismissal. Your fault, your failure. NO excuses. Pay up - and pay more attention.

$50 is a 'big bill'. In some stores a $20 is a big bill. Pay the $50, you caused the place to lose money, it's your responsibility to pay it back. Just because you were lazy and didn't do what you were supposed to is no excuse.

Anything over a 20 is considered large. Regardless of what you think, you turn all money over and notify a supervisor. What happened to the 50?

Whether or not they can deduct the $50 from your paycheck is based on state law. Since you do not provide your state, who knows. However, if they can't and you refuse to refund the money, they can fire you for other things. By not checking the bill after marking it, you did not fdollow policy. By not calling a manager, you did not follow policy. Both of those actions can get you fired.

• mokrie

If 50 dollars is NOT a big bill then you shouldn't mind paying that tiny amount back. YOU are responsible for taking it so YOU are responsible for owing it. It's not big anyway so why complain?

Yes. You made the mistake. You should have called the manager if there’s ever any doubt. That way if it’s a mistake then the manager takes the blame.

If you don’t pay then it’s stealing. You could be collaborating with someone to steal the money.

$50 is not a big bill? Are you nuts? That's a lot of money. They should fire you on the spot.