Bake time for 2 racks of ribs?

I am cooking ribs tomorrow in the oven and I have 2 3.5 lb racks of ribs in foil packs. The recipe I have is for 3-4 lbs at 250 degrees for 2.5-3 hrs. I’m thinking they might need longer. Any suggestions?

I do mine very hot for ½ hour and then at 215-240 for 3 to 4 hours.

• kswck2

Chop a small piece off at 3 hours, but figure on 4 hours anyway.

• John

3 hours will be plenty edible. 4 or more would be even better.

If they were all in one pack you would add more time. Being two separate packages leave them in for the maximum time range. 3 hours.

• Laurie

Do not put them in foil until the fat has rendered or you will have extremely greasy ribs. You can render the fat by pre-boiling them or by roasting them, covered, until rendered. THEN you can put them in foil if you wish.

I would say you need about 5 hours. To get your timing right, you can roast them until they are tender, remove them from the oven, then put them back under the broiler with sauce for 4-5 minutes to brown them. Then let rest 15-20 minutes.

Did you know you can also cook your ribs in the crock pot about 3 hours on high, or 4 hours on low (add NO liquid)... and then brown them?

Yeah I do them 4-5 hours (depending on thickness) at 250F, that's fall off the bone, how I like them. Covered with foil. Then broil them about 4 mins after they're cooked, slathered with sauce, to get a nice bit of caramelization and crust.

Two 3.5 lb ones will cook in the same amount of time as one 3.5 one.