Why is my PC so slow??

My PC, which connects wirelessly, is in the same room as my Xbox. My xbox can connect just fine and run games just fine. However, my PC is so freaking slow. I have put up a WiFi repeater about halfway between the router and my PC, and the PC can connect to the repeater but has no internet access. It says “connected” but can’t connect to anything. So I switched the WiFi to the main router and the connection is INCREDIBLY slow. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know why my PC has so much trouble yet my xbox works just fine. And I can’t move my router because it is via dsl. What should I do to fix this issue?!

• Steven

It probably has NOTHING to do with your internet connection. Most likely your computer is full of CRAP, including malware bloatware and dust.

It's ******

Adding a repeater won't help if the laptop's wifi card can't handle faster speeds. Hardware has it's limitations.

• David

Firstly if you introduce a wireless repeater the connection rate is immediately reduced by 50%, this is because the repeater has to re-broadcast the Wi-Fi signal effectively halving the throughput. Second it may be that you need to get a better Wi-Fi card to improve the sensitivity.

It may be worth getting a pair of powerline adapters and dispensing with Wi-Fi. Powerline uses mains wiring instead of a long ethernet cable and you may get better connection rates that way.

it is most likely due to a bad implementation of the security algorithm you are using for the signal eg WEP128, AES256. the Wifi card and the Router implementation of any algorithm must match. MOST routers are now dual signal, thus they can usually transmit an older b,g,N signal alongside the newer AC2.4/5ghz signals. you just need to enable the older GUEST wifi signal. this wont affect the newer signals. You may already have this feature or if your router is actually OLD b,g,N anyway then you may have the opposite problem where the pc is expecting only Newer faster 2.4/5ghz signals and is a bit poor at backward compatibility. try finding out the make and model of ROUTER you have and the make/model of Wifi card in your pc. and which xbox you have and then we can work out whats not matching.

I will guess that you are not able to use the ethernet cable for your PC, as you should ??

u probably got a crappy wireless card. upgrade your wireless card or get a new more powerful computer.