Anonymous

Can I apply for PA school with a BSN in nursing?

If I satisfy all the pre-requisites for PA school I am applying to and I have my BSN in nursing, will I be able to apply or do I have to have been a science major? Before deciding on being a nursing major I had previously looked into this but now I am concerned things have changed and you can only be a science major to apply. PLEASE help! Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Yes you can, no big deal. The only obstacles you face are Organic Chemistry, Anatomy (Upper Level) , and the GRE. Ace those and you'll be fine.

It's my understanding that a PA major could've majored in *any* course of study, as long as the applicant has a competitive GPA in pre-req classes and overall GPA, excellent professional letters of recommendation, GMAT (or similar graduate entrance exam) scores, community service, observation hours, and/or participation in extra-curricular activities (preferably with leadership position/s), for instance. Each PA program may have slightly different pre-req courses and requirements, which is why it's crucial to check with the individual PA school before applying.

See each school's individual policies & requirements. BSN in nursing (experience may also be required) is typically acceptable. A mere science major does not include practical training - thus the references & recommendations based on patient care, patient interaction - which is normally sought.

Yes, because nursing IS A a science.. That's is WHY You had to take and pass those chemistry classes and anatomy and physiology classes and maybe physics or statistics classes to EARN a Bachelor of SCIENCE in nursing DEGREE. Nursing IS a science..

Do your REALLY have BSN degree, or are you just CLAIMING you have BSN degree? If you cannot provide the college transcripts, no PA school is going to admit you.

• Squid

If you meet all the requirements, then yes you should apply. The requirements will be on their website. Hardly any graduate programs require a specific undergrad major, but if they do it will be listed in their requirements.

i dont see why you couldnt