Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 years ago

Should I plead the 5th amendment?

After defending myself against a group of Chinese students, I fled the scene to avoid getting in trouble with law enforcement. Unfortunately, there were cameras in the area and they had my number from a previous incident. They told me that I am being charged for aggravated assault, fleeing the scene, and possibly 2nd degree murder if one of the assailants don't wake u[ from their coma.

My question is this: should I plea the 5th amendment? I know I am innocent and don't deserve to have any of this on my criminal record when I graduate university because I heard that software companies do run background checks and having a misdemeanor and possibly a felony could hold me back.

Should I just plead the 5th and then have my lawyer prove my innocence?

I want to make one thing clear: I was attacked first. Cameras suggest that. The police shouldn't even be trying to arrest me in the first place. This is going on simply because I live in a liberal city, I am a white man, and I beat up a bunch of minorities. That is all. Should I just let my lawyer put the city judge and police in their place and not give them anything that can be used against me?

You should ask the lawyer what to do. You should not be discussing this on Yahoo.

YOu ask your lawyer.

In other words, you don't want to defend yourself. Pleading the 5th just means you're guilty but can't think of a way to get out of trouble. Previous incident? COMA??? MURDER??? You are in trouble. Sorry, the 5th won't help you at all. You better open your mouth and defend yourself - especially if the cameras can possibly show that you're guilty.

You should follow the advice of your attorney, not people who are unfamiliar with your case. You are being charged with fleeing the scene and by your own admission you fled the scene. Any DA who reads this forum should be able to obtain a conviction. Juries like to hear defendants assert their innocence. Since you are unable to do that, it would be better not to testify. A plea deal seems like your best bet. Hopefully, it can be expunged before it affects your job prospects.

• Bob

Another Trump voter I see.

Pleading the 5th is when you are forced to testify, like before Congress.

But absolutely you should tell the police and prosecutors that you wish to invoke your right to remain silent and that you wish to have an attorney to represent you. You do not have to tell them anything.

If this should go to trial, you do not have to testify, but you can if you wish. Of course, if you do that means the prosecutor can question you then and you will have to answer since you have already waived your right to remain silent by testifying.

Good luck to you though. You've apparently got multiple witnesses and video footage against you.

Yes

Ok let's pretend this isn't a troll for a second. You do and say exactly what your lawyer tells you to do and say. If he tells you to plead the 5th, only then do you plead the 5th.

No Computer major could ever beat up 5 Chinese people so this story is made up