Michael asked in PetsFish · 3 years ago

My fish keep dying, why?

I have a 2.5 gallon tank for now, and I didn't get a heater or filter because people from Petco said they can survive without them, and its fine since the fish tank is so small and will probably fry the fish with a heater in there.

I do water changes every weekend, and change about 25%-40% of the water. I add drops every time like some sort of bacterial, chlorine and stress reliever to keep fishes happy and alive. I also live in California, and it's summer, so i cant imagine the water being very cold. My first fish to go was a glo fish, and the next day, my see through clear fish, and the day after that, another glo fish. 6 days later, my algae eater and African frog died on the same day.

Also the fishes weren't full grown and were only like an inch possibly even less, so the tank wasn't that over crowded. I fed them everyday, and I don't think i was overfeeding them. Also, how long can fish last without a filter and also a heater?

• Ocimom

Because your tank is far too small. The MINIMUM for ONE Betta is 5 gallons. For other tropical fish you should have a 10-15 or more gallon tank depending on how many fish you have. The tanks need a filter and heater too. Bettas need temps at 78-80 degrees. Tropical fish need temps at 75-78 degrees.

Your 2.5 gallon tank is not much good other then for snails or a few smaller shrimp.

• Kevin7

The tank might be too small,consult other pet owners and an animal doctor

The anonymouse answere was spot on, but I will elaborate,

The only fsih that could possibly live in a tank that small is a single betta. yes one, single betta, not several fish. but I would not suggest anyone to keep any fish in a tank under 5 gallons.

African dwarf frogs need no les then a 10 gallon, very very estableshed clean water with a cycled filter. And they need to be in a group of 3 or more.

glow fish, their are 4 types now, they are active, fin nippy schooling fish that need a 20 gallon long or larger tank. with the exption of the newest glo fish they rainbow shark, wich needs no less then a 30 gallon tank.

Algae eater? your tank is just to small for even a dwarf species.

tropical fish need stable temps day and night, a heater is required no matter what!

A filter is not an option.

you can not just throw in random chemicals,

you need to - study the needs of every fish species you get, not on petsmast either, look up minimum tank requirenments, and proper ph,

You need to cycle a proper sized tank before getting fish. with few xceptions, Your tank MUST be large enough to accomadate the potential full adult size of ALL fish that you keep in it.

with an algea eater, a school of glofish. and clear fish? looks like you needed a 30 gallon minimum.

were they ghost catfish, or x-ray tetras or somthing else? you should know the species of all your fish? how can you look up their care if they get sick otherwise.

• kswck2

Ok. You have never kept fish before. First off, you need not do a water change Every weekend-only when the tank is dirty(and NEVER more than 1/3). Your 'tank' cannot be put near a light source- the water will heat up. Did you 'Cycle' the tank before you put fish into it(look up cycling a tank). And a 2.5 gallon tank will not sustain fish-more like a 20 gallon or some such.

"how long can fish last without a filter and also a heater?"

.....I think you just found out how long fish live in a two gallon tank. Although a filter might have been slightly better, there was no chance those fish would live in that tank for more than a few weeks.

"I add drops every time like some sort of bacterial, chlorine and stress reliever to keep fishes happy and alive"

.... seems like you may not understand the reasons or how to use this product correctly during water changes.

"I also live in California, and it's summer, so i cant imagine the water being very cold"

.... again, it seems you didn't understand the need for a heater. But yes, there's no reliable heater for a two gallon tank.

"My first fish to go was a glo fish,,,,,my see through clear fish, algae eater and African frog"

.....never should have been in that tank

"the tank wasn't that over crowded"

...... never should have been in that tank

"I fed them everyday, and I don't think i was overfeeding them"

......I've never met someone who didn't overfeed their first tank.

.....I'm not sure I've been helpful, but if you return the tank to petco you can get your money back. You bought a useless piece of crap and fish that never would have survived. Sorry, bad news.

Edit: look, you have to realize that at the moment it seems you don't actually know what cycling a tank means.

The people at the store didn't know either. I think that sucks bad. I'd yell at them if I could.

"It was properly cycled and set up. When I first bought the tank, I cycled the tank before I put fish into it"

Cycling takes six full weeks, and will never happen on a tank without a filter running for six weeks. There are ways to shorten the time, but none of these ways guarantee anything, and none of these ways work without a filter running for weeks, not days.

If you didn't do this, you can't say it was properly cycled. From your info it seems that you didn't.

Again, sorry, but these are facts, not just my opinions.