nikki asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 years ago

I need my papa smear?

I need to get my Pap smear but I am terrified of going to drs even when they take my blood pressure I get a panic attach my husband has to go with me for every appointment and I still get panic attacts what should I do

• Edna

Do NOT do what Kasha recommended and buy a speculum online and try to use it on yourself, in order to "get used" to the way it feels. That's the silliest bit of advice I've ever read. You're NOT an MD; you don't know how to use a speculum or how to insert one; and you're likely to injure yourself if you try.

• Leanne

I have severe OCD and almost passed out at my smear I was so frightened, I cannot go to the doctor any other time, but my husband and baby came with me and I demanded the smallest speculum. Yes it can be painful but you’ll feel fine by the time you get home. It’s worth having and keep phoning your doctor for the results as they DO get them first most of the time despite what they say. You’ll be fine it only lasts 1-2 minutes at most

• Kasha

Try to time it so you've nothing else to worry about that day, also let the doctor know that you're scared - they may even decide you don't need one right now, but otherwise they may have some tips to help make it more comfortable and they'll know to be more gentle with you. It can sometimes help to get involved with the PAP smear by asking to watch and asking questions, otherwise it can help other people to detach completely such as by having some music to listen to so you can just lay back and focus on that instead of the PAP smear - everyone is different. It can also help to go into the office to discuss your issues and get used to the office, then go back another day to get the PAP smear done: thus you're a little less freaked out on the day, and have time to digest information given to you.

A PAP smear shouldn't hurt - uncomfortable perhaps, but not painful. If it hurts then tell the person performing the PAP smear and ask them to stop, it's part of their job to make sure you're as comfortable as possible and not cause damage to your genitals, as soon as you tell them to stop they have to stop (if they continue it's assault) - you're in complete control, you decide if you go through with the PAP smear and you can stop them at any time, remembering that may help you relax.

I also recommend buying a speculum online to try your own examination at home, obviously you can't do your own PAP smear but getting comfortable with the speculum going into your vagina can help a lot - this way as you're doing the inserting you know you're 100% in control and in your own home it'll help you to relax.

I recommend reading through these pages too:

I Promise You Can Successfully Get A Pap Exam - http://www.xojane.com/healthy/i-promise-you-can-ge...

How to Make Your Pelvic Exam Less Scary - http://www.feroniaproject.org/part-2-how-to-make-y...

8 Ways to Overcome Anxiety About a Gynecologist Visit - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/em-and-lo/8-ways-to-...

Get a female doctor if you don't already have one. Practice at home with your husband touching you might help. Explain your fears to the doctor she should be understanding enough to go slow.

W wish my wish had had me go with her

• Gert

You'll have to face it like the rest of us.

Me too....I have an appointment on the 18th of July, and I always dread it months before. LOL Me too!!! Before you go, drink a double tea bag mug of chamomile tea...you will be as calm as a cucumber. :) I know the feeling..it sucks.

• Tavy

Make the app: have a panic attack, scream wet your pants, make a fool of yourself, then go in and have it done.

better than dying from cervical cancer.