Tattoo care?

I just got a tattoo a few hours ago and was wondering how long should I leave the seal on . He said to remove it in five days , but I heard overnight. Which one (keep in mind it’s the forearm)

If it’s Saran Wrap like a lot of places use id remove it when you get home. If it’s the seal I’d leave it on for 3-5 days like your tattoo artist suggested. Keeping it on helps protect it from bacteria that can infect it. If you do take the wrap or seal off make sure to wash it every couple of hours with an antibacterial soap and put an antibacterial ointment on it to keep it from getting infected. Also in a couple of days try putting a non scented lotion that helps with healing and dry, cracked skin. It will help prevent your tattoo from peeling away the ink and dulling it

wash with normal water

• Laura

Listen to what your artist says.

This also depends on what kind of wrap it is.

There is a patch called saniderm that is supposed to stay on for 4 or 5 days. Taking it off too early hurts the tattoo.

If its just a cling film patch, then it needs to come off after a few hours.

Listen to your artist. They know what is best to heal their tattoos.

• ?

You should take the wrapping off when you get home. It's no a good idea to leave the wrapping on for more then a day or overnight. You're asking for an infection if you leave it on for that long.

Remove it by letting luke warm water run over it and gently remove the bandage with clean fingers. Wash your tattoo with unscented not dyed soap and apply a light layer some unscented not dyed lotion or tattoo ointment on your tattoo.

He would have said wrap it up overnight.

I've never known it to be wrapped up for 5 days straight but my artists recommends wrapping it up for a few nights.

It needs washed after a few hours, and then 3 times a day but it starts to heal after 3 -5 days so it should be getting washed until then.

Contact the artist if you want. I have 8 tattoos and remove the seal after 2 hours and wash it, wrap it loosely at night (wash it and apply ointment right before it) and take it off in morning. I have never needed a touch up doing this method.

Every artist has different methods tho and just remember this is for advice.

• Leanne

The wrapping should always be removed after 1-2 hours and it shouldn’t be rewrapped unless it’s going to be exposed to filth or dust. Use Bepanthem in a thin layer of cream on it twice daily to aid with itching and healing

What part of "remove it in five days" do you not understand?

He is the expert, not some "friend" or website.

follow the directions of the person who did your tattoo.