Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 years ago

What should I do if my older sungle male boss (who makes me uncomfortable) is requiring me (female) to take a business trip alone with him?

I’ve been at this place about 2 years and travel is not part of my job. This trip was sprung on me with 5 days notice. My boss makes me very uncomfortable but it’s been tolerable because I just do my work and go home at the end of the day. Now I’ll have to spend hours alone traveling and eating with him. The thought is giving me extreme anxiety. I already asked to be excised form the trip but he’s not backing down.

So basically what you're saying is you don't know how to handle yourself around your boss, am i right? Why does the boss make you uncomfortable? Does he come on to you? If so, why do you not put a stop to it? If you don't, it sends a different message, you know.

If he makes you feel uncomfortable just because he's the boss, then he's doing something right.

To not go means you can be fired in the states. It didn't HAVE to be listed as part of your job description.

Just say you can't go. If they threaten to fire you you can appeal to higher up management (if there is any). That may or may not be affective and you may have to consider looking for another job.

If you can afford to lose your job, you could go to him and ask him if he could possibly take someone else. Tell him you would be happy to take on extra work at the office while he is away, but it is very difficult for you to make arrangements to be away, which you weren't expecting as part of your position.

If he counters that he does want you to go, you're faced with finding a new job or going. At any rate if you do go, you must be afforded lodgings that allow for your privacy, and be treated as a respectable employee. Anything less would be cause for lodging a complaint, and returning early.

• Tavy

Go sick the night before.

You could just go and act completely professional, leave him with no doubt its strictly business and do not be with him when you don't need to be, this should make it perfectly clear to him you are not interested in him. If he treats you any different after this trip (in a negative way) report him!

He cannot force you to take the trip, just say he has to find someone else to take the trip with, if he persists you may have to leave the job.

If you work for an organization with a Human Resources department then speak with the HR manager and express your concerns.