Car won't start?

So my car randomly started to die the other day. The battery meter went to low and died. So I went up to the store and bought a new battery. Started my car and it ran perfectly fine. I go to work fine. On my way back home though the same thing happened again. I had to get a jump from someone random driving. But when they jumped it, my car only stayed on for about a minute and died again. I don't understand why, I just bought a new battery. I don't know if it's the alternator or what, but I'm mad I'm spending this kinda money on it and it may not even work. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Nothing to worry about, just use the foot pedals to the chain drive to get home. You do have a pedal car don't you? You did NOT GIVE ANY INFO ON A ACTUAL VEHICLE in your query- so implication is YOU DON"T HAVE A MOTOR CAR. There are some actual car made in past 20 years that have service notices out on some electrical problems Chevy/GM mini vans with the 'disney' entertainment package and security system, lot of sensors that can be shorted and drain batteries, shorten alternator life. Couple years of Chrysler with a external regulator for the jump start/cold weather start problems can fail, draw down battery and cause diode failure in alternator. Check the service bulletins for your actual car- might find a now known problem with known fix. A new external regulator number, a suggest fuse upgrade, check on external sensors and security package- GM Mini Vans have 130 service notices, there is a 2000 Chevy Venture setting waiting for testing session, cheap under center of floor pan security panel. 2003 Chevy Impala with manual start button and other bypass wiring that needed daily run or overnight battery trickle charge- driver/mechanic in jail now.

It's not a "battery meter".

It's an electrical system voltmeter.

I'm sorry, but you should be mad at your own ignorance. Your explained symptoms describe a CHARGING SYSTEM (alternator plus some other things) that is not functioning properly.

Call a mechanic

Your alternator has had it.

Lets hope you're getting mad at yourself. Auto parts stores test batteries and charging systems for free! I'll wager the red battery charge warning light has been on. That means the alternator is not charging the battery...not that the battery is bad.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I'm 90% this is your alternator or alternator regulator, usually you can change the regulator a bit cheaper I've even heard of people taking them apart and using a wire brush on the contacts to fix them for free but likely you'll change the alternator (if they're cheap enough to not need the regulator route) and all will be fine

Source(s): If you've got a multimeter charge the battery from another car for 10-15 minutes and start your car up without the jump leads, put the multi on volts and if it reads anything less that 14.1 you've got an alternator problem

This is called parts roulette. Spend money on parts without checking WHAT is causing the problem?

Did you check the alternator BEFORE just assuming it was the battery at fault?

If you are not prepared to spend money on fault finding you will continue to buy the wrong part.

Alternator has likely failed. Watch the internet guru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q

Youtube thumbnail

Sounds like your alternator doesn't work, your alternator charges your battery while you drive and when they stop working your battery stops being charged and will end up going flat, your car prob stopped after a few minutes after being jump started because your spark plugs weren't getting enough power to keep the engine going. It really isn't that hard to replace an alternator but if you don't like working on cars it'll prob cost you around $500 for parts and labour at a machanics depending on where you live and what car you have.

• Todd

Alternator, cabling, or the belt is worn or broke.