How to boost dog’s confidence...?

He has to be around family constantly, and I even have to go outside with him when he poops or he won’t go... He’s a big whiner and just sits at the back door whining if I try to leave him alone, even waited an hour several times... Leaving him for an hour seemed to make it worse like hes scared im going to do it... show more He has to be around family constantly, and I even have to go outside with him when he poops or he won’t go... He’s a big whiner and just sits at the back door whining if I try to leave him alone, even waited an hour several times... Leaving him for an hour seemed to make it worse like hes scared im going to do it again every time.. He’s terrified of going anywhere, he likes car rides but still pees from fright when I try to get him out of car to go into a store...
He’s almost constantly licking himself after ANYTHING happens whether he actually peed or not. If he spots someone at door he braks then licks himself. If another dog barks he gets scared and licks himself. He jumps up on my chest so I can pet him, and when he jumps back down he licks himself...
I think he needs a confidence booster but how do I do this when he’s too scared of everything...?
I thought he’d trust me but I dont think he does bc he doesnt come to me when hes scared...