Is it rude to ask somebody if they're gay?

A new guy just started working at my job. He's like 8 years younger than me so I likely wouldn't pursue him anyway (I'm a female), but he's adorable. I think he may be gay, though, and one of my work friends asked me if he was gay and I said I didn't know and that I didn't want to ask. Do you think it's rude to ask somebody if they're gay? There's nothing at all wrong with him being gay, btw, I love gay people. One of my best friends is gay. I just wanted to know before I try to flirt with him lol.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

what business is it of yours? Why should be declare to all that he likes guys. Yes its rude to ask.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Try this...MYOB. It is not anyone's place to ask

• 3 years ago

not rude. but kind of awkward? it depends on who you're asking I think, some people might be fine but some people might feel like its a very weird personal question.

• 3 years ago

This is a type of question you would ask a friend, not a coworker. While the question in of itself isn’t rude it is inappropriate for the workspace. Perhaps after you’ve become better acquainted outside of work he would be more open with his personal life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Yes it is RUDE to ask. If they want to tell you, THEY will.

• 3 years ago

You don't do this at a job unless you have an interest in being called into the HR office because you've been charged with sexual harassment. If he's gay and wants you to know it you'll eventually know it.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Yes it is very rude to ask someone their sexual orientation, just like it is rude to ask someone what their religion or ethnic background or race is. Should accept people at face value, and sexuality is a private thing unless that person chooses to share it-- unprompted. If you flirt with him, then he may well tell you he is not interested or flattered and in a relationship. But he does not have to disclose to anyone whether he is gay or straight or bi. .Loads more guys are bi than gay, by the way.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Not if you replace the word gay with queer '

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Yes, very rude. What someone does sexually is very personal and you put them on the spot by asking questions like that.

• 3 years ago

Kind of.. I guess it depends how its done

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.